Re: [CSS21] response to issue 62

From: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 15:28:17 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote to <mailto:www-style@w3.org> on 25 February 2004 in
"Re: [CSS21] response to issue 62"
(<mid:Pine.LNX.4.58.0402251046130.426@dhalsim.dreamhost.com>,
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2004Feb/0484.html>):

> I don't understand why English doesn't work in the manner intended.
> There
> is no such thing as "box width", but there is a locally defined term
> "page
> box", so why would you parse "page box width" to mean "page {box
> width}"?

I'm not a psychologist or a linguist. Maybe Boris can use his
university connections to get Noam Chomsky to explain.

My best answer is that human beings parse based on general rules for
the language, not on a store of local definitions.

Whatever the real explanation, all I'm asking is to change a space to a
hyphen-minus. Is that so dangerous?

--
Etan Wexler.