Re: CSS2.1 'content', 404 Not Found, and audio files

From: Justin Wood <jw6057@bacon.qcc.mass.edu>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 23:06:16 -0400
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: W3C Style List <www-style@w3.org>

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

>* fantasai wrote:
>

>>Also, it seems we haven't defined fallbacks very well here.
>>If the resource at the URL cannot be loaded as a replaced
>>element, the content value should fail and fall back, not
>>load half-baked strings.
>>
>>  content: "Welcome to " url(welcome.png) "!";
>>

>That's a rather bad example, welcome.png is content not style here.

Does it not change the fact that *SOME* users of CSS will abandon the
"reasons for CSS" and mix content and style anyway, as ALREADY has been
done to a large degree on a large number of websites.

(For example see how many professional company websites follow even
Level A Conformance)

We need a "Defined Fallback" for such a case!

~Justin Wood