Re: Spam on www-style

Daniel Glazman writes:

> Philip TAYLOR wrote:
>

> > Another common factor of the jjsolari posts is
> > the following, which might provide an alternative filter
> > rule :

> > ([82.229.170.141] helo=18.29.1.73)
>
> JJSolari is a real person, and he is NOT a spammer. He has always
> helped a lot the standards and open software communities. I am very
> surprised to see his name attached to spams, and I recommend
> caution if you are to set up a anti-spam rule, it could be just
> an email abuse.

Yes, it probably is. Proxad.net is not where he normally sends e-mail
from. He contributes to other W3C mailing lists. We haven't blocked
him from any other lists for that reason.

But while we are waiting for technology to detect forgeries, I have
blocked him from www-style only, since has wasn't subscribed to that
list anyway.

We're experimenting with SPF (now called Sender-ID, I believe), which
may help a bit to counter forgeries. I encourage everybody who
operates an SMTP server to add an SPF field to the DNS record for that
server. See http://spf.pobox.com/ (If this is gibberish to you, ignore
it, you're almost certainly not operating an SMTP server. Just make
sure your virus and firewall software is up to date.)

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/ERCIM