Re: Pagination in CSS3 Paged Media

From: James Ross <silver@warwickcompsoc.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:02:06 +0100
To: WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> I'm reading section 5.4 ("Allowed Page Breaks") [1] in the CSS3 Paged
> Media module and I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what it's
> saying.... Say I have the following (X)HTML document (or rather this
> tree of DOM nodes, with the elements being HTMLElements):
>
> [snip]
>
> There are no style rules applied to this DOM tree other than the obvious
> rules in the UA sheet to set display values.
>
> Given that, where is a UA allowed to put page breaks when printing this
> document, per this spec?

-- possible break --
-- possible break --
-- possible break --

These are all type 1 breaks (block boxes), which satisfy Rule A and Rule
B under the assumption the UA has not applied any values to the relevant
properties, other than their initial values.

If the long text in the 4th <td/> doesn't fit on a page, I would break
it using type 2 breaks (line boxes), making sure it doesn't break Rule C
or Rule D (which would only require 4 lines to be 'breakable').

I expect I've missed the key issue here (that seemed far to simple for
something in CSS 3), but that's my interpretation of that section of the
specification.

--
James Ross <silver@warwickcompsoc.co.uk>

101 Things You Do Not Want Your System Administrator To Say:
   53. What's this switch for anyways...?