Re: [CSS3] ::outside and table amnd/or ruby elements

From: Ernest Cline <ernestcline@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:37:36 -0400
To: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "W3C CSS List" <www-style@w3.org>

Example:

  td::outside { /* */}

Now in the flow there is an anonymous box <td::outside> between
a table-row element <tr> and a table-cell element <tr>
If <td::outside> is anything other than an:table-cell,
there will be additional anonymous boxes generated
between <tr> and <td::outside> by the CSS table model [1]
If <td::outside> is anything other than a table-row.
there will be additional anonymous boxes generated
between <td::outside> and <td>.

Further reflection has caused me to consider that this could be
remedied by adding the following CSS:
  td::outside {display:table-cell}
  td {display: block}
to avoid generating the extra anonymous boxes, but it would
be a good idea to point out the problem and a potential
solution  that works reasonably well for this case.  However,
note that in solving the problem, I have side-stepped it,
as <td> is no longer a table-cell.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#q2