Re: Controling structure with CSS

Adam Kuehn wrote:

> As I said, my own opinion is that I don't think that rendering order is
> purely a matter of presentation.  The Declaration of Independence (to
> choose a random historical document) does not make any sense when read
> in random order.  Now I'll grant you that a pure print example certainly
> does not capture everything there is to capture about the web.  But it
> is illustrative.  Web pages are generally broken down into major
> sections - navigation, content, branding, contact info, advertising,
> etc.  Those aren't arbitrary divisions - they are functional (or, if you
> like, structural) groupings.  The current CSS version handles this type
> of model pretty well, for the most part - or would if implementations
> would get around to supporting the entire spec.

Sometimes I want a different presentation order for different media.
Let's say I want the content section a the beginning for screen readers,
but for visual presentation I'd like it somewhere in the middle. And for
print, I'd like to have the company info at end not at the top.

A the moment I'll try to create a meaningfull document for screenreaders
first, and then re-arrange it with floats and or positioning.

I'm still not convinced that adding features to CSS is the way to go.
Maybe it would make more sense to redirect authors and implementors to
XSLT. But then CSS would depent on XSLT for presentation :/

Tonico