Re: Controling structure with CSS

From: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 19:35:40 -0700
To: Adam Kuehn <akuehn@nc.rr.com>, David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, <www-style@w3.org>

On 4/16/04 5:39 PM, "Adam Kuehn" <akuehn@nc.rr.com> wrote:

>>>  No.  That would mean it was trying to do everything.
>>
>> Depending on how you interpret it, your statement is equivalent to saying it
>> is wrong to do everything with XML or with UNICODE for that matter.
>
> Personally, I see no such equivalency.  The
> referent to "it" is very clearly "CSS", which
> says nothing at all about XML, UNICODE, or
> anything else.

That's the point.  You can substitute "XML" or "UNICODE" into that sentence
as the "it" to see how little sense it makes as a generalization.

>>> XLST is intended
>>>  for this sort of situation.
>>
>> This statement has two fundamental philosophical flaws.
>>
>> 1. The "one-tech" blinders.  Just because there is one technology to do
>> something doesn't mean there shouldn't be another.
>>
>> 2. The fact that complex solutions beg for simpler solutions.
>
> Let's assume you are correct in both.  Does this
> mean that it is your belief that CSS *should*
> allow authors to re-arrange document structure?

That question assumes binary thinking.

In answer to your question, no, because that would be assuming a false
dichotomy of CSS vs. anything else.

There is another possibility: invent something else.

Perhaps even reuse CSS syntax to build something else.

Or change the question slightly.

Instead of "re-arrange document structure", consider "re-arrange
presentation", which is probably what the original asker of the question
wanted.

Now that makes sense as something to solve with CSS in a simple way.

Tantek