Re: content: url() is bad

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:21:15 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Perhaps I did a poor job of describing my issue with the "it's a
replaced element or not" proposal... my problem is that it violates the
principle of least surprise for authors.  This is a problem that CSS
suffers from heavily in general -- predicting the rendering of anything
but the most trivial CSS is pretty much impossibly without studying the
spec for weeks first.

Again, I can't offer a better alternative.  But I disagree with the
assertion made by Ian earlier in this thread that this is a usability
win.  Anything that exhibits erratic (from an author's point of view)
behavior is a usability loss.

-Boris