Re: content: url() is bad

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, David Woolley wrote:

> Real world authors don't write with semantic markup (in my view most real
> world authors really should not be using a semantic markup language[1]).

I know. See the parts of my e-mail where I mentioned the fact that even
despite this it is quite possible to write media-specific renderers that
do not rely on another browsers' screen rendering to generate the
"assistive technology" output.

> The difference between the leading AT products and screen readers is
> that the AT products take lots of hints from the DOM and MSAA hooks, in
> order to try and make some sense out of real world sites

These systems (those that use the DOM) would not be affected by the
proposed 'content' stylesheet stuff, so I don't really understand your
original concern.

> whereas a screen reader will simply read what is on the screen of a text
> mode browser.

...which is definitely the wrong way of doing things.