Re: line-height: <length> should be revoked

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:16:12 -0500
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

David Woolley wrote:
> * {line-height: 1.2em;}
>
> This effectively negates the specified inherit default on line-height

Which effectively breaks line-height in the simple case (set it on a
block, have it used for the text in that block), because you have to
worry about whether there are some random <p> or <div> tags inside that
block.

May as well simply not implement line-height.

>>Yes.  Note that this is corrected in CSS 2.1, which only uses number
>>line-height values in the example style sheet.
>
> The particular point is that CSS 2.0 only specified it on the body element

Actually, no.  It specified it on something else too, as I recall.  CSS
2.1 _does_ only specify it on the body, which is intentional, given that
it inherits.

-Boris