Re: content: url() is bad

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:17:11 +0100 (BST)
To: www-style@w3.org

> Most people use a background-image on the LI element, since that is more
> consistent between browsers (with the downside effect that they are not
> clickable to select the LI contents).

I'll have to disect some recent pages; last time I looked they use
inline IMG elements on paragraphs or BR delimited text.  I suspect, though
that you are describing what is done by the more technically aware
authors.

> I see you have a lot of problems with page authors (just like you had
> problems with my css-forms proposal), but it is not up to the W3C to
> educate those people. As Ian Hickson showed, there are perfectly valid

It is up to the W3C to design the standards in such a way that people
find the laziest way of doing things is the correct way.  In this case,
I'm not sure that there is any significant level of abuse, so there may
not be a problem here.