Re: content: url() is bad

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:24:03 +0000 (UTC)
To: Dave Shea <dave@mezzoblue.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Dave Shea wrote:

> Can we, in good conscience, decrease a page's accessibility and blame it
> on the UA not conforming?

Sure. I do it all the time. If a browser misrenders any of my sites, such
as:

   http://ln.hixie.ch/
   http://libpr0n.com/
   http://mozillaquestquest.com/

...etc, then it is a UA bug, not an authoring error.

Now, of course, I understand that not supporting IE is obviously not
acceptable to most people, and for other people not supporting screen
readers is just as inacceptable, in which case fine, work around the bugs
in those UAs while designing your sites. (I don't, but then I don't run a
business out of my sites, so I can afford to exclude large segments of the
population.)

But specifications shouldn't have to be designed around UA bugs.