Behavior of <meta> elements linking in stylesheets

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 14:37:08 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org

Say I have, in my (X?)HTML document, the following markup:

         content='<http://whatever/something.css>; rel="stylesheet"'>

How does this node behave from the point of view of the CSSOM?  Does it
implement the LinkStyle interface?  Does removing the node from the DOM
remove the sheet from document.styleSheets?  Does changing the
"http-equiv" or "content" attribute via the DOM change which sheet is
applied and whether it's applied?

That is, does this behave exactly the same as:

   <link rel="stylesheet" href="http://whatever/something.css">

Or does it behave more like an actual

   Link: <http://whatever/something.css>; rel="stylesheet"

HTTP header (which cannot be affected via the DOM, etc)?

I realize this is not directly part of the CSS specs (though the CSSOM
angle really should be), but of the W3C mailing lists this seems to be
the most relevant one for discussing this question.

For what it's worth, I'm leaning toward treating

-Boris