Re: Styling table columns--why so limited?

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 18:18:57 +0000 (UTC)
To: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Cc: Matthew.van.Eerde@hbinc.com, www-style@w3.org

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Tantek [ISO-8859-1] «elik wrote:

> I think there can be many examples where the table-ness of elements (i.e.
> their table semantics) MUST be determined by the language (e.g. say you were
> marking up a sparse matrix -- the mathematical kind), and thus it would be
> possible to create pseudo-classes that selected the semantic table-ness of
> those elements rather than their presentational table-ness.

Yeah, that might make sense. It would mean that :column(3) would select
cells in the third column in the markup, as opposed to in the rendering,
but I expect that's probably ok.

It would mean that not-over-the-wire scenarios where UAs do not have
knowledge of the language being used are disadvantaged, but that's not a
big problem. (Over-the-wire scenarios don't have this problem since you
should never send unknown languages over the wire.)