Re: Allow whitespace after "rect" function identifier

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 12:49:15 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> You suggest allowing parantheses of functions to be preceded by
> whitespace, like
>
>   border-color:rgb (0, 0, 0) rgb (127, 0, 0) rgb (255, 0, 0) rgb
> (0, 127, 0);
>
> Since that would be optional to support the current grammar, too,
> composed properties are no longer as easy/efficient to parse

One major issue here is that one needs a way to differentiate between
"rgb(" and a system color named "rgb" in this situation.

I suppose that you could force the issue by declaring any identifier
followed by a "S* (" production to be the equivalent of the current
"function" token.  That would possibly preclude later uses of '(' ')' to
denote, eg, grouping.  That may be fine, but it's not a decision to make
lightly.

-Boris