Re: CSS3 Compatibility

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 23:02:23 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
On Saturday 2004-04-03 00:16 -0600, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Sean M. Hall wrote:
> >CSS3 Compatibility Tables:
> >http://www.geocities.com/seanmhall2003/css3/compat.html

> This could be quite an excellent undertaking with significantly expanded
> tests and fewer absolute claims....

I'm not sure I agree with that.  Testing for properties that aren't in
candidate recommendation is probably a bad idea, unless it's to make
sure that they are *not* implemented.  (Examples in the table above
include list styles, border-image, and box-shadow.  Of those, I think at
least one (border images) is unlikely to reach candidate recommendation
in its current form.)  Furthermore, many of the other tests duplicate
existing tests [1].

It also might be worth pointing out that 'word-spacing' is a CSS1
property, and that Mozilla 1.7b and Firefox 0.8 are just (as far as CSS
support goes) different versions of the same implementation.  However, I
don't think detailed corrections of these tests are really on-topic for
this list.

-David

[1] http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/#css3-selectors