Re: attr(x, y)

From: Roland Tepp <roland.tepp@mail.ee>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:55:15 +0300
Cc: www-style@w3.org

James Craig wrote:

> Roland Tepp wrote:
>
> The syntax was correct and it is allowed today in some circumstances.
> Take this example that works in modern browsers (Not IE):
>
> /* href value starts with '/' */
> a[href^="/"]:after {
>   content: " (http://www.mydomain.com" attr(href) ")";
>   }
>
> Would take this element:
>
> And print:
>  Link text (http://www.mydomain.com/foo.htm)

Thanks, I understand how string concatenation goes, but what if  the
static url part would not be contained in the quotes - I believe this
was the original question by Boris Zbarsky:

>How about:
>
>  list-style-image: url(/images/ attr(name) .gif);

(note thet there are no quotation marks around /images/ )
eg. if  attr(name) would evaluate to "foo" then given example would
(theoretically) expand to
  list-style-image: url(/images/ "foo" .gif);
So would that line be valid in any current browser or spec?