Re: [CSS] Lengths relative to the line height

David Woolley wrote:

>> Would it be good if there's a unit just like 'em' (where you specify
>> a length relative to the parent element's font size) to specify
>
> This is wrong.  em refers to the current element except when setting
> the font size.

O.k. - my mistake. But it doesn't change the matter.

>> lengths relative to the parent element's line height?

(read as "relative to the current element's line height")

> I can't see any value in this except as a case of a more general
> mechanism to reference the computed value of any length valued property,
> and even then I think one is getting into bloat and risks problems
> with circularity of reference.
>
> [...]
>
> My current experience is that many pages now display with lines too close
> together to read comfortably, even when using an IE medium font size.
> In some cases the lines overlap - this happens for the error messages from
> one of the Microsoft proxy servers.  IE, which has most of the market,
> only locks the font size when one disables author sizes, so a line height
> that is not specified in em's will go wrong.

Generally, I wasn't talking about bad author practices nor
specifying line heights using absolute units. As I've stated
previously it would be as just useful as using 'em's.

--
Stanimir