Re: background-image-opacity suggestion

From: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:47:25 +0200
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Sigurd Lerstad wrote:

>>>How about a property:
>>>
>>>background-image-opacity: (0..1)
>>>
>>>So for example:
>>>
>>>background-color: white;
>>>background-image: url(me.gif);
>>>background-image-opacity: 0.5
>>
>>Just use a PNG.
>>

> I'm aware of png, but that property seems very useful to me. It's a non
> destructive way to turn any image in any format into a watermark background.

Yes, but how far do you want to go? 'background-image-brightness: -10',
'background-image-effect: oil-paint'...

If these effects have to be done on the client side, then use SVG: wrap
the image in one line of SVG and put an 'opacity' property on that. I
think (hope) future browsers will allow inline SVG and MathML in HTML,
so you don't even need to put the SVG in a separate file if you don't
want to. The SVG renderer will be used even if the SVG is inline.

I don't think it is a good idea to duplicate functionality in different
technologies (in this case CSS and SVG). Some overlap is OK, but not too
much.

Bert
   +33 4 93 65 76 92               06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France