Re: Scrollbar Code

Ernest Cline wrote:

>>From: Arthur Wiebe <webmaster@awiebe.com>

>restricted

>>>I have to disagree with this.  If CSS for scrollbars exists, it should be
>>>able to be applied to any element for which the overflow property
>>>can be specified, and that includes the root element.
>>>

>>Well in that case CSS for scrollbars shouldn't exist at all. The only
>>good reason I can think of for have styled scrollbars is making the
>>scrollbar match with your web site. I really don't think that's a good
>>enough reason to mess up my scrollbars when I'm visiting a web page.
>>

>Obviously we disagree over whether the root element's scrollbars
>(if any) should be considered part of the page's UI or the user agent's UI.
>I think the former, and you think the latter.  However, a good user agent
>should make it easy for the user to decide which the user agent should
>let control over the root element's scrollbars be given to the web page
>or not. There clearly is a demand for the ability to control the scrollbars.
>It should be provided someplace and it should include the scrollbars
>of the root element, since whether scrolling even occurs for the root
>element is already something that a page author can affect thru CSS.
>
>Therefore the question to me is NOT: "Should a page author be able
>to control the appearance of the scrollbars of the root element?"  That
>question has to my mind already been decided by the marketplace,
>and the answer is yes.  If W3C tries to say, no you shouldn't do that,
>so we won't release a standard for how it should be done, then W3C
>will be a step closer to seeing its web standards ignored even more
>than they already are.
>
>The real questions ARE: "Is CSS the best mechanism for controlling
>the appearance of scrollbars?" and "If so, how should CSS do it?"
>The answers to this need not follow Microsoft's in-house  methods
>and given their OS specificity, as mentioned by a previous poster
>in this thread, probably shouldn't follow them.

I have a complete change of mind now. I'm no longer against CSS for
Scrollbars, and I agree we should not go by Microsofts methods.
So the biggest thing is changing the color. I believe that if you were
able to use your own images for the scrollbars that might be a bit to
much. But I may also be wrong again.
Some like scrollbar-color: #808080; would work except I see only one
problem. User agents that use images for scrollbars or should I says
OSs' that use images for scrollbars would have to make a seperate group
of images for each color for the scrollbars. This would be something
hard to implement.
<Arthur/>