Re: [CSS3] Generated and Replaced Content - Grouping (long, examples)

From: Stanimir Stamenkov <stanio@myrealbox.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:48:41 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:

> ...which we want to style as:
>
>    <dl>
>     <::pseudo>
>      <dt>...</dt>
>      <dd>...</dd>
>     </::pseudo>
>     <::pseudo>
>      <dt>...</dt>
>      <dd>...</dd>
>     </::pseudo>
>     <::pseudo>
>      <dt>...</dt>
>      <dd>...</dd>
>     </::pseudo>
>    </dl>
>
> The questions are:
>
>    * which element is the ::pseudo a pseudo-element of?
>    * what syntax do you use to say you want to group them like that?
>
> A solution could be:
>
>    dl::pseudo(from the earliest ungroupped dt,
>               including all the dts that immediately follow it,
>               including all the dds that immediately follow _that_,
>               and stopping just before the next dt or the end of parent)
>
> ...although of course that's rather verbose.

May be a better syntax would be:

dt::before

or even

dt::outside {
   /* specify that the ::before or ::outside would group the DT and
    * some elements after, in some way (using some syntax) */
}

I'm still maiking myself familiar with the spec and I'm not sure if
this approach is even "interesting"... ?

--
Stanimir