Re: [CSS3] Generated and Replaced Content - Grouping (long, examples)

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Afternoon wrote:
> On Thursday, October 30, 2003, at 09:31 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
>
> How would bookmarks simplify the solutions to the problems you posed
> earlier, e.g. grouping into threes?

It wouldn't.

Like I said at the start of this thread -- I've thought of many solutions,
none were any good. I'm sure there is a solution that is easy to specify
and easy to use. I was just showing some of the ideas I'd considered.

> Why would bookmarks stop you from getting into the same problem of
> having to specify lots of different conditions to stop a set?

They wouldn't. One advantage of "bookmarks" is that they can be specified
pretty easily using just one property, three keywords, and one
pseud-element, with no new selector syntax and no attempt at reinventing
XPointer. It should therefore also be reasonably easy to implement.

The disadvantage is that it doesn't come out as very easy to implement,
and can very easily fall apart with odd effects if the cascade introduces
an unexpected value.

I don't have a good solution. I'm hoping someone can find one.