RE: CSS 4?

From: Robert Koberg <rob@koberg.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 08:08:05 -0700
To: "'Tantek Çelik'" <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>

Hi,

> >> Which do you think is easier to author?
> >
> > Never used XSL, but people around said XSL is awful
>
> Try it yourself to appreciate it and form your own opinion.

Well, it is *useful*, even though some people are not able to grasp the
concept (many can grasp it...). For HTML, I tend to think of XSL as
something that creates that creates the 'bones' of a page and CSS applies
the 'skin.'

With CSS, how would you take this XML element:

<link idref="a1234"/>

And style it into:

<a style="internalLink" href="../folder/page.html">page</a>

Or this element:

<submit servlet="login"/>

Into:

<form id="loginForm" action="login" method="post">
</form>

Or, using CSS, turn the things above (or anything) into a PDF?

I see that you (Tantek) are not necessarily dissing XSL, but I wanted to
point out that XSL is not useless.

Best,
-Rob