Re: CSS21 @font-face removal

From: Afternoon <afternoon@uk2.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:03:14 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

In addition, the user may not now how to install a font, or may only be
passing through.

I don't read Japanese, but I like to see Japanese sites rendered
correctly. I didn't go to the trouble of installing the font packs when
I used Windows, but now that my OS X machine has them, I'm happy.

Ben

On Monday, October 20, 2003, at 08:57 PM, bzbarsky@mit.edu wrote:

> Quoting Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>:
>
>> If a person wants to read Georgian and runs Mac OS X, why
>> wouldn't (s)he install a suitable font instead of relying on Web sites
>> to provide fonts via @font-face?
>
> Because this person is a tourist in a cybercafe in London, wants to
> check on the
> news back home, and has neither permissions nor knowledge to install
> fonts on
> that machine.
>
> Because this person is a student in a university computer lab doing
> research on
> Gergian literature and has neither permissions nor knowledge to
> install fonts on
> that machine.
>
> In short, because people move around, don't always use the same
> computer, and
> often use computers they have no control over.
>
> -Boris

(q)	Ben Godfrey?
(a)	Web Developer and Designer
	See http://aftnn.org/ for details