Re: CSS21 @font-face removal

On Monday, Oct 20, 2003, at 19:56 Europe/Helsinki, Chris Lilley wrote:

> HS> Then there's the practice of transferring Latin gibberish and
> applying
> HS> a font that is a Latin font from the system's point of view but
> HS> contains glyphs for another script. I think CSS 2.1 should not
> HS> accommodate fontifying Latin gibberish to look like text in a
> minority
> HS> script in browsers that happen to support such a trick.
>
> I agree, so its handy that CSS 2 dissallows such a practice. But wat
> does that have to do with downloading fonts in general?

The part that I quoted was:
"With respect to minority scripts, no - the fact that you can read it
does not
mean automatically that your computer system comes with support for it."

If the system doesn't support the script, what does downloading a
properly encoded font help?

If the system already knows how to deal with the script but doesn't
come bundled with a font, it is (in my opinion) reasonable to expect
the user to supply the required font.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi