Re: CSS21 @font-face removal

From: Kevin W. <null@ozforces.com.au>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:46:09 +1000
To: Tex Texin <tex@i18nguy.com>, W3C Style <www-style@w3.org>, W3c I18n Group <w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org>

> I am sure there are good reasons for removing @font-face [2]
> from CSS 2.1 font capabilities. [1].

Probably only because there were no implementations of it at all (AFAIK),
and it was deemed too much work for not enough gain.  Leaving it in the
spec wouldn't have really encouraged UAs to support it.  It's still in
CSS3 though.

> 1) Do I understand correctly that in losing @font-face there is no
> longer a way to specify the url for fonts

Well we've never had an implementation of it.  If a UA wants to support
it, they still can, as it's still in the CSS3 spec.

> I have a concern that this impacts users of minority languages more than
> others.

I imagine if you want/need to read in a minority script, you would already
have the required font(s).

--
Kevin W :-)
Opera/CSS/webdev blog: http://trats.ozforces.com.au/