RE: [CSS21] colons are forbidden in type selectors

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:20:51 +0000 (UTC)
To: Robert Koberg <rob@koberg.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Robert Koberg wrote:

> > In non-namespace-aware browsers, you would do:
> >
> >    pre\:name { font-weight: bold; }
> >
> > However, this is very poor semantically, as it gives special meaning to
> > the namespace prefix.
> >
> > Instead you should use CSS3 Selectors, that are supported by basically all
> > the namespace-aware XML+CSS browsers:
>
> What percentage of real users have these kind of browsers?

Pretty much all usefully namespace-aware CSS+XML browsers support
namespace selectors, so of the users that this is an issue for, about
100%. Of course, IE6 doesn't fall into that category, but if you are going
to target IE, why would you use XML with namespaces?

> When you say 'should' are you taking into account reality? (I realize
> this list is not about that)

The term "should" is an RFC2119 term. I was using it in that context.

> p.s. I read your blog. What kind of browser do you think the naked girl you
> found in your bed uses? :)

Opera 7.21 and Firebird 0.7, probably.