Re: CSS21 Syndata.html Section 4

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:59:00 -0400
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Tex Texin <tex@i18nguy.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org, W3c I18n Group <w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org>

At 15:39 03/10/15 -0700, L. David Baron wrote:

>On Wednesday 2003-10-15 17:39 -0400, Tex Texin wrote:
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html :

> > 2) Section 4.4 on CSS document representation
> > Mention should be made of the Unicode BOM and its relationship to the
> encoding
> > of the file.
>
>Porting the additional text in [2] back to CSS 2.1 could be a start,
>although it might be worth adding some additional text beyond that.
>(For example, a BOM could indicate that a stylesheet is UTF-16, as
>having priority immediately lower than @charset.)

This is not a question of priority. An UTF-8 BOM followed
by @charset iso-8859-1 is a contradiction, and should be
a clear error (this is a bit different for the interaction
between mime header and body information).

>XML normalizes CR, LF, and CRLF to LF [1], so it seems reasonable to
>treat LF as the new line character within the CSS processing model.  It
>only matters when 'white-space' is 'pre', though.

I'm not sure this is relevant here, or otherwise an issue, but
please keep in mind that you can 'smuggle' a real CR or CRLF
past the XML parser with a numeric character reference (&#x...;).

Regards,   Martin.