Re: Collapsing vertical margin through parent. why?

staffan.mahlen@comhem.se wrote:
> I agree that this theory works with trivial markup and for simple
> cases.

Most markup is trivial.  The idea should be to make the easy things
(simple document layout) easy, and the hard things (complex layout)
possible.  Currently, that is the case.  Making hard things easier at
the expence of requiring all simple document to include gobs of CSS to
handle margins seems counterproductive...

> I also think the feature may be to simplistic as it works. If your
> example had a background color on section, the margin of the children
> para should probably not have been collapsed.

Why not?  The text will have the proper background, as desired.  If the
intent is that the section should have a strip of background around its
contents, padding on the section should be used.  If there is no such
intent, then why should the margin not collapse?

-Boris