Re: CSS21 Syndata.html Section 4

On Wednesday 2003-10-15 17:39 -0400, Tex Texin wrote:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html :
>
> The range should be [0-9a-fA-F], since characters g-zG-Z are clearly
> beyond the hexadecimal number.

Agreed.

> 2) Section 4.4 on CSS document representation
> Mention should be made of the Unicode BOM and its relationship to the encoding
> of the file.

Porting the additional text in [2] back to CSS 2.1 could be a start,
although it might be worth adding some additional text beyond that.
(For example, a BOM could indicate that a stylesheet is UTF-16, as
having priority immediately lower than @charset.)

> 5) The section 4.3.7 on strings introduces \A for newline and points to an
> example, so I assume there isn't a section describing other backslash codes
> (e.g. \t etc.). However, the section doesn't define what the user should do if
> they actually want a linefeed.
>
> Is \0A (not \A) supposed to generate a linefeed or a newline? In other words,
> is that string "\A" a special string, or is the character code U+000A mapped to
> linefeed in css? The parenthetical remark seems to indicate that CSS redefines
> the Unicode character.
>
> (Which seems like a very odd and dangerous thing to do.)

XML normalizes CR, LF, and CRLF to LF [1], so it seems reasonable to
treat LF as the new line character within the CSS processing model.  It
only matters when 'white-space' is 'pre', though.

Do you have a better alternative in mind?

-David

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006#sec-line-ends
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-css3-syntax-20030813/#css-style