Re: [CSS21] block formatting context/floats

On 12 Oct 2003 at 13:47, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, staffan.mahlen@comhem.se wrote:
> > How do nested and adjacent block formatting contexts interact?
>
> Depends on how they are formed. Floats, for instance, generate block
> formatting contexts, and flow around each other as per section 9.5.
>
> In general, formatting contexts grow to contain their in-flow floats, but
> do not grow to contain out-of-flow content.
If this is generally true i think it may be useful to spell that out
in the rec (while it may be difficult to describe). If i understand
correctly, absolutely positioned block formatting contexts do not
affect containing block formatting contexts, while the others do
(except for overflow:scroll containing an absolutely positioned
element?).

> However, for specific rules,
> you have to refer to the spec. For example, 'overflow:scroll' generates a
> new block formatting context that grows to contain any out-of-flow content
> (assuming the 'overflow:scroll' box is the containing block of the
> absolutely positioned block, or is a containing block ancestor of the
> containing block of the absolutely positioned block.
>
> Does that answer your question?

I think so, at least the nesting bit. I'm not quite sure i got the
adjacent part though.

Eg:
I'm not quite sure where in the rec that is defined (and i dont quite
see why browsers implement it the way they seem to do).

 /Staffan