Re: [CSS2.1] Selectors

From: Daniel Glazman <danielglazman@easyconnect.fr>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 09:44:48 +0200
To: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

fantasai wrote:

> Preceding Siblings
> ------------------
>
> S5.1 <http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-CSS21-20030915/selector.html#q1>:
> # E + F      Matches any F element immediately preceded by an element E.
>
> preceded by a _sibling_ element, you mean; E + F shouldn't match if
> E is the parent of F.

Right, this "preceded" makes reference to the document's tree, not
the traversal order... I don't think anyone has made the confusion here.

> Adjacent Elements
> -----------------
>
> S5.7<http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-CSS21-20030915/selector.html#adjacent-selectors>:
>
> # In some contexts, adjacent elements generate formatting objects
> # whose presentation is handled automatically (e.g., collapsing
> # vertical margins between adjacent boxes). The "+" selector
> # allows authors to specify additional style to adjacent elements.
>
> This paragraph is confusing and, imo, useless. Take it out.

I agree.

> Attribute Selectors
> -------------------
>
> S5.8<http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-CSS21-20030915/selector.html#attribute-selectors>:
>
> # CSS 2.1 allows authors to specify rules that match attributes
> # defined in the source document.
>
> Given the way "matches" is defined in section 5.1, this
> sentence should be reworded. The selector doesn't match
> the attribute, it matches the element *with* the attribute.

Good catch.

> You tell authors here what not to do with classes. One
> reads this warning, but then what? There's no advice on
> what *to* do! Tantek's post "A Touch of Class" [1]
> explains classes particularly well; adding a few key
> points from that would turn this block into a more useful
> redirect.

Well, this is a specification, not a tutorial...

> ID Selectors
> ------------
>
> S5.9<http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-CSS21-20030915/selector.html#class-html>:
> # Document languages may contain attributes that are
> # declared to be of type ID. What makes attributes of
> # type ID special is that no two such attributes can
> # have the same value; whatever the document language,
> # an ID attribute can be used to uniquely identify its
> # element...
>
> Since CSS could conceivably be used for a non-SGML-based
> document language, I suggest defining IDs as "unique
> identifiers" first and relating them to type ID later.
> Another advantage is that you start the definition with
> generic English rather than specific code.

You have a use case in mind ? Are we really going to see gml or
nroff markup styles with CSS ? I doubt it's worth making the change.

</Daniel>
--
"Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a
completely unintentional side effect."          Linus Torvalds