Ambiguities in using 'inherit' in 'font' shorthand

I recently noticed that there seems to be an ambiguity in CSS when the
value 'inherit' is used for a component of the 'font' shorthand
in the optional part.

With regard to how 'font' is defined,
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/fonts.html#font-shorthand
(or the corresponding part in the CSS 2.1 draft),
consider the declaration

font: inherit 100% Arial;

Does 'inherit' set font-style, or font-variant, or font-weight? They are
allowed in any order, and they are all optional, so which one is it?

Am I missing something? It seems to me that this problem cannot be solved
without disallowing 'inherit' in such cases.

(The background for my observation is the recent Usenet thread starting at
news:bpu34q$uap$1@online.de )