[www-style] <none>

On Nov 18, 2003, at 10:58 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:

>> Also, I wasn't assuming they all look like Windows scrollbars (note
>> my reference to different user agents and widget differences).  I'm
>> using Mac OS X, and that's what I was modeling it after.
>
> The OS X scrollbars are very difficult to imitate if the browser
> assumes that the scrollbars are Windows-like. In particular, the
> extreme positions of the slider are hard. Mozilla tried to mimic the
> OS X scrollbars using boxed images, but it didn't work out.
> Thankfully, native scrollbars are used now.

Actually, looking at theme files for Mac OS X and the like, scrollbars
are made up of around six (maybe a few more, such as for the
transparent effect on the grip tab) images for each direction (vertical
and horizontal).

> Also, suppressing system scrollbars causes all sorts of annoying
> issues with mouse wheels and assistive technologies.

I would hope that UA's would use the system's input API to make the
scrollbars just as functional.

>> A few other suggestions:
>> y-scrollbar-arrow-orientation: top || bottom || both;
>> y-scrollbar-tab-proportion: proportional || fixed;
>
> I prefer to keep those settings to my system-wide preferences without
> every Web author altering them.

And thus, you have the beauty of overriding CSS with a custom file.  Of
course, a designer could set these to "default" to automatically pass
the user's system preference.
________
"Irony is a voluntary survey with required fields."
	~ Dris ~