Re: getComputedStyle / getOverrideStyle

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 14:14:29 -0500
To: "Sigurd Lerstad" <sigler@bredband.no>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org, www-style@w3.org

> I know that getComputedStyle always includes all the computed properties of
> the element, but if getComputedStyle also contains the result of the
> animated properties, what's the point of getOverrideStyle?

The point (such as it is) is that getOverrideStyle is _writable_ and allows you
to effectively set inline style even if the document language does not support
such a concept.  Computed style is readonly.

Are there any UAs which actually implement getOverrideStyle?  None of the
browsers do, but do any of the SVG implementations?

Economists state their GNP growth projections to the
nearest tenth of a percentage point to prove they have a
sense of humor.
                             -- Edgar R. Fiedler