Re: [CSS3-Values] Table cell inheritance

On Sun, 25 May 2003, Ernest Cline wrote:

> I would like to suggest the adding of a new common property value:
> table-inherit that could be applied to any property except display-role
> and display.  This exclusion is because the behavior of this property
> value is dependent uppon the value of display-role.

This would require that the cascade be split into two parts, with the
anonymous table construction in the middle. As I understand it, it is our
intention to move CSS to a world where you can implement the whole
cascade, in one pass, without doing any layout at all. This allows
implementors a much greater freedom to optimise their algorithms and data
structures, something which is important both for small devices, more of
which are implementing CSS every day, and for computers, where users are
clamouring for smaller and smaller layout times.