Re: Control an element that is not child of the trigger

From: Hakon G <hakon_@everyday.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 17:01:24 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-style@w3.org
Would it really severe the rendering time that much?
This feature would only make sense to use with user-interaction pseudo-classes like :hover :active and :focus.
Therefore I fail to see how they should do anything to the page-load process, since it's unlikely that there will be such a trigger before the page has loaded.

About the  sign - yeah I only meant that I chose to use it in the example, nothing more than that. It could be any character.

Yes, I checked those pages but I guess they couldn't do the job in this desireable case: to get a table-row to change background-color when there's a checkbox on it checked.

How about an operator like this which would give the reverse effect of >

input[type="checkbox"][checked] < tr { background-color: red }
tr { background-color: grey }

When the checkbox is checked, the tr will change color.
That shows another problem. I don't know how to assign a subject that is NOT checked. Since in html4, it is a standalone attribute `checked`. But I guess that will be doable with css3 and the pseudo-class.