Re: Control an element that is not child of the trigger

From: (wrong string) äper <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 15:53:24 +0200
To: "Hakon G" <hakon_@everyday.com>, <www-style@w3.org>

Hakon G:

> I think it would be useful if stylesheet could be used to affect an
> element that isn't necessarily a child of the trigger.

I'm not sure about it. It could significantly increase rendering time.

> (I have suggested the » character as the selector)

I don't think the WG is too keen about using such a character, which is
neither in US-ASCII nor easily to be entered on many keyboards, in
selectors.

> a:hover » #label­  ­{ visibility: visible }
> #label { visibility: hidden }

> <a>Click here!</a>

For a similar use case with currently available techniques, see
<http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html>.