Re: :here for Links

From: Ernest Cline <ernestcline@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 12:55:55 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org

On 29 Mar 2003 at 11:27, Chris Vincent wrote:

> I'm not sure if it's an idea which has been brought up yet, but I think
> it would be useful to have a pseudo element called :here or something
> similar.  The purpose is to select only hypertext links link point to
> the current page.  This way, web developers don't have to go to the
> navigation device on every page and make the links have special classes
> or anything like that.

That can already be done with CSS3 Selectors. The selector a[href^="#"] would
select all links that begin with "#" and hence point to the current page.
If the author uses the practice of using just "#" as a placeholder for links
manipulated by a scripting language then a[href^="#"]:not([href="#"]) would
have the rule avoid them if desired. The only advantage I can see to using
something like :here would be if on the page there were links that
incorporated part or all of the path as well as the #id part, then :here would
presumably also select them. However that would be a decision on the part of
the web author to include the nonessential part of the URI. Since such a
decision would seem to indicate a desire to emphasize that the link will
always be in that place as opposed to that the link will always be on this
page, it is a limitation I can live with. I think it can be safely said that
there is no need for a :here pseudo-class