Re: an alternative to the 'position' property allowing more precise control

From: (wrong string) šper <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 17:07:01 +0100
To: <www-style@w3.org>

Daniel Glazman:

> The document [1] outlines a very simple solution to do box positioning
> in a more precise way than what allows CSS2 for the time being.
>
> [1] http://daniel.glazman.free.fr/weblog/position__new.html

Despite the fact, that I like the way it is now better, here are my
comments:

If you didn't change the initial value of 'top', 'right', 'bottom' and
'left, which is 'auto', to 'none', it would be easily possible to extend
instead to change the current model. trbl would become shorthand properties
of something like 'X-ref-box', 'X-ref-side' and 'X-offset', where "X" is
either of 'top', 'right', 'bottom' and 'left'.

How could a horizontal edge have a vertical one as reference, and vice
versa?

'window' is a bad choice, should be 'viewport'.

How can three different values ('root', ''enclosing' and 'previous') be
"equivalent to absolute positioning"?

Christoph, who thinks "position: relative parent 1em 2em 1.5em 1.5em;" would
be [more] intuitive