From: Etan Wexler [mailto:ewexler@stickdog.com]
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2003 3:14 AM
To: Chris Lilley
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Subject: Dependence on works in progress

Chris Lilley wrote to <mailto:www-style@w3.org> on 20 March 2003 in "Re:
Proposed Additions to list-style-type based on Unicode 4.0"
(<mid:17030163468.20030320095640@w3.org>):

> unaproved scripts should probably not be used in
> a CSS3 Rec.

I would like to generalize this suggestion and to elevate it to a
requirement. Please consider the following text.

A W3C Recommendation must not have any normative references to works in
progress. A W3C Recommendation should not have non-normative references
to works in progress.

I did not find a like-worded requirement anywhere. I suspect that one
exists in some Member-only document. I would appreciate a confirmation
or denial of this suspicion.

Clearly, the proposed policy would affect many Working Groups. I could
not, however, discover the proper forum to raise the issue with the W3C
at large. I hope that Chris or another person can direct me.