Re: Block element width behavior

From: Stuart Ballard <sballard@netreach.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:32:42 -0500
To: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

fantasai wrote:

> No, "display: table" is much better than that. But even better
> would be adding David Baron's suggested value, 'intrinsic', to
> 'width' for CSS3.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-box-20021024/#the-width

I strongly support the idea of an "intrinsic" keyword.

I think the spec needs to make clear exactly what the intrinsic width
means for a block-level element, though - in particular, it might be
considered to mean that no content in the block would ever get
word-wrapped, and that's not the desired behavior. I suggest defining it
in a way that works out identical to the width of a single-cell table.

How safe would it be to start writing code now that does something like
this:

.foo { width: 50%; width: intrinsic }

to get the desired behavior if user-agents start supporting "intrinsic"
in the future? Can I rely on "intrinsic" meaning what I want it to mean
if it's supported at all?

Stuart.

--
Stuart Ballard, Programmer