Re: Dynamic vertical spacing without overflow

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 16:23:47 -0500
To: Gustav Svensson <gurra16@spray.se>
cc: www-style@w3.org

> Is this possbile to do?

Not with CSS2 without use of tables, that I can think of...

> If it's not doable with css,
> then any argument on why it shouldn't be?

Other than CSS being designed for flowing documents (not user interfaces, but
_documents_) in which the need to achieve the sort of layout being described is
almost nonexistent, no.

In a box model designed for user interfaces (eg any widget toolkit) this would
be trivial to accomplish.  But CSS, as it stands, is simply the wrong tool for
this job.

"Vast quantities of ethyl alcohol (CH3CH2OH) have been
discovered near the center of our Galaxy; evidently our
Galaxy has also discovered that the best place to store
liquor is in the middle of the system!"
                 -- Frank Shu, "The Physical Universe"