Re: Dynamic vertical spacing without overflow

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 16:23:47 -0500
To: Gustav Svensson <gurra16@spray.se>
cc: www-style@w3.org

> Is this possbile to do?

Not with CSS2 without use of tables, that I can think of...

> If it's not doable with css,
> then any argument on why it shouldn't be?

Other than CSS being designed for flowing documents (not user interfaces, but
_documents_) in which the need to achieve the sort of layout being described is
almost nonexistent, no.

In a box model designed for user interfaces (eg any widget toolkit) this would
be trivial to accomplish.  But CSS, as it stands, is simply the wrong tool for
this job.

Boris
--
"Vast quantities of ethyl alcohol (CH3CH2OH) have been
discovered near the center of our Galaxy; evidently our