Re: Core syntax error handling

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Michael Day wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > Indeed, which is why the spec should explicitly say _how_ to handle
> > them. It already does so for many errors (invalid values, unknown
> > properties, etc). Increasing it to cover ill-formed stylesheets is
> > the next step.
>
> Hmm, my point was that the spec does say explicitly how to recover from
> grammar errors, and yet many user agents get it wrong in one way or
> another.

The errors that the spec mentions explicitly are quite well supported. The
problem is that the spec currently doesn't cover all the cases.

> Explicitly stating how to recover from invalid tokens will
> complicate the spec

Actually there are proposals that are remarkably simple and yet cover, as
far as I can tell, all cases.

> and does not guarantee compliant behaviour from every user agent.

Nothing guarentees compliant behaviour from every user agent.