Re: @import

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:07:38 +0300 (EEST)
To: www-style@w3.org

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Simon Jessey wrote:

> > Regarding the development of the CSS specifications, the topic of this
> > list, I might raise the question whether the restriction of putting
> > @import first should be removed. Is there any _logical_ reason to it? If
> > not, hopefully the technical issues could be settled down. CSS is
> > difficult and confusing by its very nature; it shouldn't be made even
> > harder by imposing arbitrary, hard-to-remember restrictions.
>
> I would argue the opposite.

Do you really mean the opposite, namely that CSS should be made even
harder by imposing arbitrary, hard-to-remember restrictions?

> Supposing it was jour job to decipher style
> rules given to you that were spread out over a number of different
> documents.

That would take quite some work, especially if both the markup they
associate with and the style sheets themselves are more or less obscure.

I fail to see how it would make that task _more_ difficult if @import
rules had their intuitive meaning and no artifical restrictions. After
all, @import is simple inclusion. If a style sheet @imports another, this
is no more (and no less) complex than a single style sheet consisting of
the two combined the way @import says. And allowing @imports at any
position does not make this any more difficult.