Line numbered code

From: Neville Hillyer <N.Hillyer@open.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 07:19:58 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-style@w3.org

I have had various communications with others about:

1	Poor or buggy user controlled soft wrapping within browsers. This would
be useful for sites such as -

2	The lack of HTML/CSS support for the above type of line numbered
code/source - I understand that Liam is thinking of using 'ol' combined
with 'pre-wrap' as soon as CSS3 is available.

Is it too late to consider line numbered code as a special case for CSS3?
ie a line number followed by space preserved code (as in pre) but with
various wrapping options and with all wrapped lines indented (as in ol). I
would also like to omit the dot after the line numbers but others may not
agree with this.

Neville Hillyer
Telematics Webmaster
Open University