Paged media - cross references, page numbering,...

From: Pieter Blommaert <pieter.public@advalvas.be>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:42:31 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org

Hi,

I've been working on a "template": A stylesheet that includes things one
expects from a text processor, like numberred headings, nice table layouts,...

What I still miss the most is things like page numbering and especially
cross-references.
As long as there are no cross-references, I cannot decently maintain big
documents directly in HTML.

I had a look at css3 and there I found the answer in the Paged Media
module, allthough I think cross-references are not necessarily linked to
Paged Media.
Even on screen, I may want cross references to be shown:
e.g. I make a list (<ol>) of 20 steps. At step 16, I refer back to step 10.
I want this number diplayed on screen,... but I also want it to be modified
when I insert another step (<li>).

The latest version is however:
W3C Working Draft 28 September 1999

This kind of worries me: the content seems to be quite good (I can't invent
any better, but I'm not a expert).
Nevertheless there is no progress for over three years.
What is stopping this?
Is there any technical reason?
Is there a better (existing?) alternative?

thanks,

Pieter