RE: XPath as CSS-selectors?

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn.ulsberg@nrk.no>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 12:19:36 +0200
To: "'Robin Berjon'" <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Robin Berjon wrote:

>> What kind of functions are you thinking about?
>
> XPath functions. Nothing keeps one from adding some.
> css:first-line(/foo//bar).

Ah. I see. No, of course -- it would be nice to have CSS take
advantage of the work being done on  XPath in *any* way, but
I don't think the functions are enough.

>> Because I think XPath has better syntax and is better fitted
>> for the pure task of selecting nodes than the existing CSS
>> selectors.
>
> That judgement seems very subjective to me :)

Of course it is! :) But as Herr Christian Wolfgang Hujer has
proven; I don't stand alone on this one. What syntax the language
has (and not only functionality) means something. It means a lot,
actually.

> I would like to take the time to work through a one to one
> comparison between CSS and XPath. Hopefully this week-end if I
> get the time.

Great! I can barely wait to see the results. :)

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg           -=|=-          X-No-Archive: No
"He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away"