Re: author-defined color aliases

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 02:22:17 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org, Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
CC: Ben Godfrey <afternoon@uk2.net>

On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 1:19:20 AM, Kynn wrote:

KB> On Monday, June 16, 2003, at 03:28 PM, Ben Godfrey wrote:
>> Please try to accept that the web we have is a visually rich web for
>> more reasons than designers liking fancy schmancy pixels. This list
>> should be about helping those who want to create pretty pages and not
>> just pure functionality. After all, the web is about people. If it was
>> about computers, this list wouldn't exist.

KB> You should be careful about equating "people" with "visually
KB> rich web"-- as there are plenty of people who use the Web constantly
KB> who have never seen a visual Web page, ever.

And you, in turn, should be careful in assuming that the visually
disabled are universally against the non-visually-disabled enjoying
visually rich websites.

I didn't see Ben say 'all people' just 'people'. Creating visually
rich websites, especially doing so using stylesheets, should be
encouraged not discouraged on this list.

KB> People with disabilities are -- understandably, based on millennia
KB> of continuing discrimination -- sensitive when you assume that
KB> they are not "people."

Or when you make assumptions about their motivations and wishes
without asking them if you can speak on their behalf. 'Does he take
sugar' cuts both ways...