Re: Ideas for CSS 3.0?

Gerard Torenvliet wrote:

> I have been looking over the drafts for CSS 3.0, and they are missing a few
> things that I had been hoping that I would see:
>
> -	the ability to achieve the same effect as the text-align style, but
> for elements like div (i.e., to have the ability to set a div to a certain
> size and then center that div in its parent)

What's the problem with
div { width: 55%; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; }
?

The only thing I'm wondering is if text-align: justify combined with
inline-block elements can provide me with evenly spaced block-like
elements without using extra wrapper elements.

> -	the ability to specify sizes in a combination of units (i.e. left =
> 0.4em + 16px); this would allow me to more easily construct relative-sized
> layouts

Yes, that would have been great many times, but how complex formulas
should be supported? For example, one would need to be able to use
counters in the calculations to make it truly worth something. In
addition, if ::outside gets implemented you can more or less emulate
simple calculations with that -- at least how I've understood that.

> -	the ability to specify widths and heights that span the remainder of
> the space to the edge of the viewport; this would allow me to create
> elements that, for instance, started at a left position of 20% and stretched
> all the way to the right edge of the viewport.

Like
div { padding: 0; width: auto; margin-left: 20%; margin-right: 0; }
?

If you want to discuss how some layout effect can be achieved with
currently available browsers, please subscribe to

--
Mikko